A Moment's Reflection

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Silk Scarves

One of Kalina's Christmas gifts was silk play scarves.
Oh, and she got that cute little basket for Christmas as well.
A local momma sells them - fair trade & hand made in Ghana.

I purchased the silks un-dyed (white) and then dyed them myself.
I found a tutorial online and dyed them with Kool Aid!
(I knew there must be a purpose for that stuff...)
I did one square scarf for each color of the rainbow. And, then one long rainbow colored one...
Unfortunately, I didn't get any photos of the coloring process. The little tubs of color were gorgeous, and the kitchen smelled fruity and divine!
Silk scarves are wonderful for children to play with. Dress-up, magical creatures, puppet shows, nature tables, seasonal lessons, princess hats...so many ways to use them!
(and as you see, they also make great dance partners!)

I think we'll get a lot of use out of these :)

2 Comments:

Blogger Melissa said...

I love these!!! The color's turned out amazing, but it really makes me wonder how good it is for the stomach when it can dye fabric that well! Mickey and I were just talking about how it seems like such a fun project and toy for young ones... I might be coming back to this blog post in the future!

December 31, 2009 at 1:49 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Yeah, probably shouldn't be drinkin it, but the colors are beautiful :)
I got her some colorful scarves when she was younger, but now that she has the silks, I realized how much better they are. Wish she had them sooner!

January 1, 2010 at 6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home