A Moment's Reflection

Friday, May 7, 2010

Dying Easter Eggs!

I thought I'd have some fun this year and dye eggs with natural "dye".

I googled to find out some things I had on hand that made some basic colors.
There's all kinds of vegetables, fruits, teas, spices, etc that can be used.

I just chose a few for this time, but would love to play around again some time.

Yellow onion skins = golden brown (I added a little turmeric for a deeper yellow/orange)
Beets = pink/red (or brownish if they sit too long :( )
Purple cabbage = robin's egg blue
Pretty already!
I boiled for a while and then added some vinegar to help the color take.
I saw some really pretty eggs online with leaf imprints.
They glued leaves and things on the eggs before dying them and then peeled them off.
K helped me pick all kinds of leaves, grasses & flowers.
She colored on some with pencils and decorated with stickers too.
While I spent WAY too much time sticking plants to eggs...

Unfortunately, they didn't stick once they were in the warm dye bath.
So, we ended up with solid(ish) colored eggs anyway!
It definitely went a lot slower than commercial dyes, but we ended up with a lovely batch of eggs! And when the dye leaked through to the edible eggs inside, I felt no guilt feeding K a "blue" colored egg!

2 Comments:

Blogger the towners said...

Could you taste the "dye" on the egg? Like did the pink ones taste like a beet egg?

May 8, 2010 at 5:50 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Haha! No, I couldn't taste the dye. They just tasted like extra-pretty eggs ;)

May 11, 2010 at 12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home